Rheumatoid Arthritis & Pilates : How Pilates can help
- Of all the therapies for rheumatoid arthritis, experts agree that regular exercise is one of the most important therapy of all.
- Exercise lubricates the joints, builds cartilage, strengthens muscles and bones, and improves your overall health and fitness.
- Along with correct breathing and core work, supported movement can help lubricate joint surfaces, provide nutrition to the cartilage and flush inflammation from the joints.
- Pilates provides joint protection by helping to develop the local stabilizer muscles (those smaller muscles that assist the larger prime mover muscles with movement) that create precise motions. This in turn protects the joint surfaces, alongside the global muscles that are responsible for shock absorption, force distribution and joint motion.
- Pilates is also particularly good for arthritis because it can be tailored to meet individual needs.
Specifics – Arthritis
Some of the outcomes for rheumatoid arthritis sufferers are:-
- a greater endurance to get through the day,
- a decrease in overall stress levels and
- sleep quality is enhanced.
‘motion is lotion’
- Remember ‘motion is lotion’ from the last post ? – This refers to the stimulation of joint surfaces which results in the production of synovial fluid, or the ‘motor oil’ of the joints.
- Pilates provides individuals with the opportunity to experience this movement while giving attention to detail and joint positioning.
- The increased awareness of joint alignment within movement promotes joint health while minimising the destructive forces that weight bearing can subject joints to.
- The efficient, aligned movements of Pilates helps protect joints by strengthening the surrounding tissues and improving flexibility and proper biomechanics. This results in less pressure on joints; less pressure means less wear-and-tear; and less wear-and-tear means less pain.
- Pilates also teaches important breathing principles, which makes for more efficient movement patterns. The fact that Pilates exercises are performed with attention to whole body alignment allows for more efficient movement patterns with less compressive forces on your joints than other exercises..
- There will be days where you as an rheumatoid arthritis sufferer will come in complaining of stiff joints….
but, try out a session at qpilatesuk
today and see how you feel afterward.